Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Portland, Oregon erotica writing workshop tonight (9/18)!

Tonight the final stop on the West Coast leg of my month of events is at Q Center, 4115 N. Mississippi Avenue in Portland, Oregon from 6 yo 8 p.m.; more details below, but you can register online or at the door using cash or credit card. After that, I'll be heading home to New Jersey followed by events in Portland, Maine, Chicago, Milwaukee, New York and my first online only erotica writing class with LitReactor starting October 16th. A few other events are in the works. Get my calendar information on my website and sign up for my monthly newsletter on the left hand side of my site's main page. I greatly appreciate you telling people in the above cities about my events if tehy might be interested.

Usually I teach at a store or conference or college, where some organization or entity has booked me. Tonight's event comes through meeting Annamarie of Kinky Sexy Geeky at CatalystCon East in March (speaking of which, the next one is March 27-29 in Arlington, Virginia and the call for panel submissions is open!). She was kind enough to help me set up this event, and she runs a series of Portland, Oregon events that I encourage you to check out, such as Talking Kink and Portland Queer Munch.

Ground Kontrol, Portland, Oregon

Ground Kontrol, Portland, Oregon
taken before I got third place in the high scores!

I got my tiger lily tattoo on my right arm at New Rose Tattoo in Portland, Oregon (since I am also going to Portland, Maine next week, I feel I keep having to clarify which one, so may just use PDX as shorthand). I have some wonderful friends in Portland, and have had wonderful readings here, including last week's at She Bop (photo below). Tuesday, while deciding to walk about a mile to Union Station, I discovered that my route would take me by the famed Ground Kontrol arcade. I've wanted to go there for years and am even on their mailing list. I got to play my favorite game, Q*bert, for a little while, and may stop back again today on my way to Q Center. My point is, I have an affinity for Portland, and am very much looking forward to tonight's class.

I've been teaching erotica writing for at least 4 years, possibly a bit longer, and the more I do it, the more I learn about the opportunities available for writers, the many ways to draw inspiration, and the possibilities for connection and creativity. I teach because I don't want to hoard the information I've acquired about the genre, and because I love to see people who may start out tentative or nervous or unsure for various reasons about what knowledge of erotic writing and inspiration they possess being to own their own unique vision and bring it to life on the page. Right up there with someone reading a beloved book I've recommended in life highs is someone telling me my classes inspired them to write. Not publish per se, though that is wonderful and I hope happens as well if someone wants it, but to write. Writing is always there, always accessible, as long as you have a pen and paper. It's been such a wonderful outlet for me, and I hope I can pass that on to others. Erotic writing especially is a way for many people to explore sexuality, their own and/or their characters', in a safe way where they control the action, no matter how outrageous the story. Portland, folks, I hope to see you tonight. As I said, you can register at the door between 5:30 and 6 p.m. sharp with cash or a credit card.

In another town? Hope you can attend one of my upcoming events! Want me to teach erotica writing in your town? Email me at rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com with "Workshop" in the subject line. More information on my workshops is on my website.

September 18, 6-8pm
Erotica 101 writing workshop, Portland, Oregon

Professional erotica author and editor Rachel Kramer Bussel, editor of over 50 anthologies such as The Big Book of Orgasms, Flying High and Best Bondage Erotica 2014, will take you through the ins and outs of modern erotic writing, from getting started, finding your voice, and incorporating your surroundings, pop culture, and personal experiences into your stories to crafting a range of characters and settings and submitting your work. The workshop is tailored to help get you published and highlight timely calls for submissions.

In this supportive, welcoming workshop environment, you'll learn how to write vividly about everyday scenarios as well as outlandish fantasies, and make them fit for particular publications in the thriving erotica market. This workshop will address the recent boom in erotica inspired by Fifty Shades of Grey, provide examples of well written erotica, and will include multiple writing exercises. You'll be given a handout listing major markets and further reading suggestions. No previous writing experience required. Please bring laptop or pen and paper. $25/person; register at Brown Paper Tickets.
Q Center, 4115 N. Mississippi Avenue, Portland, Oregon

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home